Case Study:

The Beez Logo

The finalised Beez logo
The finalised Beez logo

This article is to explain my thought and design process as to how I came up with the logo for my friends, The Beez, who are a female dj/presenting duet.

1. Brainstorming

Brainstorming ideas
Brainstorming ideas

The first port of call was to jot down a few identifying words related to “The Beez”. I did this in the form of a brainstorm so I put down every idea I could think of and group the trails of thought. The importance of doing this wasn’t so much to identify the final idea, but to flush out all the ideas that weren’t suited so I wouldn’t waste time progressing these.

The main words that the client and I got from this exercise were bees, microphone, dj and tv.

2. Research

Researching
Researching

By searching the web, which in this case was simply trawl through google images, I can present to my friends a wide variety of ideas and in return get a sense of direction they want to go in terms of colours, tone of voice and fonts for the logo.

From this mood board I presented to them it became clear they liked the idea of a bee made from musical equipment they used, such as a microphone, vinyl records or CDs, headphones etc.

3. Sketches

Sketching concepts
Sketching concepts

Sketching is an great way to pull together all the findings from the research phase and rapidly develop concepts, saving time in the long run before jumping on a computer.

Now, I do not claim to be a decent artist, which is probably for the best as I’m evidently not. Luckily, it’s not too important as long as the basis of a concept is visually conveyed.

The client was very keen on idea 3 and suggested instead of using records for eyes use them for the wings. They liked the microphone as the body for the bee in idea 4 so used that instead of the mixer switches. So the final sketch, 3a, was a merge between ideas 3 and 4 and this is what I took forward to the computer.

4. Design

Designing and itirating
Designing and itirating

So with the clear idea of what the client wanted drawn on paper, I fired up Illustrator and got designing. Illustrator is the obvious choice to produce vectored, clean, scalable logos that can be resized and reused with ease.

There was a lot of toing and froing with the client at this stage but it was to perfect the minor details such as:

  • using lipstick to identify they were female presenters
  • dark shades instead of eyes to add that bit of mystery
  • surrounding the ‘the’ text with a television shape to make it clear they had TV channels
  • using a dotted path for the trail of the beez
  • and doubling up the bees to represent that there are two of them

Conclusion

Even for a small project such as this, it is still important that to break it down in to a purposeful process. I feel it is also important to keep the client involved at every stage so they feel part of the design and much more likely to feel that the end product is ‘theirs’.

I hope that this case study illustrates the importance time spent in preparation before the design phase meant that I eliminated any chance of wholesale changes. So once the design stage was reached, all the focus was making the agreed idea look as best as it could be.